November 19, 2013

Desmos Piecewise Project

This has been my favorite project for two years now! I have reserved the computer lab for an entire week each time and let the students show their skills!



Here 
is the project overview I give students about a month before we go to the lab. They complete their sketch on graph paper and record their functions with domain constraints. I tell them that once we get to the lab they need all the time they can get to input functions into Desmos and mess with colors. Inevitably they also have to tweak some functions to make it work. If most of their ideas are already on paper it makes the week go much more smoothly.

They work so hard writing functions of all kinds, not just limited to our Algebra 1 skill base. I have students independently researching conics, logarithmic functions, and working so hard to make their details perfect. I have printed these in color both years and put them down the hallway.
Best comment of last spring: "I didn't know algebra could be that cool!!!"

Here are some awesome student works:

















Gah...8th graders!!! Love them!!!!

4 comments:

  1. What did you teach right before doing this project?

    Look at my stuff at sinedsealedcalculated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments say a week in computer lab but your rubric says 1 day. Which do you give them? I'd like to use this with my college algebra class....Thanks, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching around for a fun project for my Pre-Calculus class and this hits the nail on the head for a cool first project. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete