May 23, 2012

Yearning for Summer

Alright, if you will afford me just a couple moments I'm going to whine. I want summer--badly! I want to sleep in, relax with my cup of coffee, sit outside with a good book soaking up some vitamin D, and go for an afternoon run. Ahhhhh bliss. 
But alas, no. The kids' last day was Monday and my summer doesn't really begin until June 9. I am working with some fabulous ladies and we are writing curriculum for next year. Common Core...heard of it? If you are in the world of education I sure hope you have! The Common Core State Standards are national standards that will increase rigor in US schools. I am excited about the future promise that these standards hold, but the next few years are going to rough as educators and students adjust. Now, back to why my summer is currently on hold. The middle school and junior high level classrooms in our district implement Common Core in August. That means that we need to wrap our minds around (and create assessments and resources) before August. So, that's what we are currently trying to tackle. 
We are taking all 7th grade, 8th grade, and Algebra 1 standards and combining them into one large and cohesive curriculum. We will create units, then write assessments, then look at how best to teach these ideas. Here's what we have: about 120 standards that range from adding rational numbers to synthesizing functions to understanding geometric principals. Some are worded clearly and some are worded like a bad translator was drinking. We are working very hard and I feel confident that our final product will be amazing. I cannot wait to look at all the glorious splendor we have created here in a few weeks. But for now, my head hurts. We are reading, processing, trying to understand, and exhausting our mental capabilities. I am proud of the work we have done in last couple days, here's to hoping we can continue!!

Please hold my place, summer, I'll be there soon!

1 comment:

  1. Just think of how great it will be when you are all finished! =)

    Your summer will be here soon.

    If you want a good summer read, Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah is amazing. =)

    I am a new follower to your blog and I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete